A pair of life-size lead greyhounds, one recumbent, one standing, the standing dog after the ca. 1845 bronze original titled “Eos” by English sculptor, John Francis (1780-1861) and housed on the grounds of Osborne House, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom, English, ca. 1880. Recumbent dog: 19.5 ins. high, 51.25 ins. long, 14 ins. wide. Standing dog: 29.25 ins. high, 38.75 ins. long, 8.5 ins. wide. On associated composition stone plinths, American, ca. 1950.
Eos was one of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert’s beloved greyhounds. The original bronze work, on display at Osborne House on the Isle of Wight, was based closely on a painting of Eos by the celebrated Sir Edwin Landseer (1803-1873). Prince Albert worked closely with the sculptor to produce the bronze likeness, as noted in the Queen’s diary entry of November 1, 1844: “...we walked down to the kennels, where Francis is getting on with the model of good ‘Eos’, which is very good and like. Albert directs everything, and also works himself at it”. Another example of the bronze work resides at Windsor Home Park.