Stoneware Urns on Pedestals
A pair of stoneware urns after the Antique Medici Vase, produced by the Gartcraig Fire Clay Company, marked “Gartcraig”, Scottish (Glasgow), ca. 1905. On associated stoneware pedestals, marked “Doulton Lambeth”, English, ca. 1900. 50 ins. overall height. Urn 29 ins. high, 21 ins. overall diameter; pedestal 21 ins. high, 15 ins. square at bottom.
Established in 1862, the Gartcraig Fire Clay Company was primarily known as a manufacturer of bricks, tiles, and pipes. In the early twentieth century the firm also advertised their ornamental urns.
Although the Medici Vase has always defied absolute identification in terms of its iconography, many scholars believe that the body of the vase depicts Iphigenia seated below a statue of Diana on a plinth, with warriors--possibly Agamemnon and either Achilles or Odysseus--standing at attention on either side, with satyr mask and fluted loop handles, the whole raised on a fluted socle. The original Medici Vase, a 1st century AD specimen carved in Greece for the Roman market, now resides at the Uffizi Gallery.